Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I took apart a 3 gang box with 2 dimmers and a on foff fan

Customer Question

I took apart a 3 gang box with 2 dimmers and a on foff fan switch .. and I lost track of what wires control what
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I think the answer you gave to another will help
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: there is one red wire power
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: but there is 4 black wires
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi can you tell me what the 2 dimmer switches controlled............... the other just controlled the ceiling fan going on and off and it has a pull chain also?...............and if you could upload a couple of pictures of the 3 gang box one internal and one external........ it would help considerably

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance