Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Well, my air conditioner went out, and i'm looking to see

Customer Question

well, my air conditioner went out, and i'm looking to see what part the cutler hammer panel plays
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: it went out last night.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not really, i was just looking for anything obvious. there was a black box with a white label that had the words on and off upside down. wasn't sure if that meant anything
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the fan works, the circuit breaker was on, it sounds like the unit tries to come on at intervals
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: about 9 years, and we have a call into an ac repair company
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. To diagnois the problem you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester and be able to take a few reading at the panel and disconnect. Do you have a tester?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was afraid of that. I used to have a tester, but through a sequence of moves don't anymore.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done without one. Need to test, not guess. Get a tester and we can continue.