Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

I three sets of black,, and copper wires coming into one box

Customer Question

i three sets of black, white, and copper wires coming into one box which controls 2 different lights... all 3 white cords are tied up with a cap and i have 2 new dimmer switches that have black, red, and green wires.. expect one switch has 2 red wires... any idea where to connect what with?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: trying too..
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope... i have said everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many wires and what are the wire colors that were terminated to the original switches?

2) Have you de-installed the original switches or are they still wired? If still wired, can you back the switches out from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires and send me a picture so I can review what you have in place?

3) Can you provide me with the dimmer switch manufacturer name and model numbers?

4) If needed, do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available?

5) Inside the switch box, are all of the white neutral wires spliced together and capped off with a wire nut?

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

I have not heard back from you, so I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open question list.

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

what I am taking you through is some easy steps first and then I guess we will get more creative............I would like for you to run the wall remote bypass next..........find on the opener where these two wires connect (don't get them confused with the safety sensor wires) and remove them.......then with touch the contacts with a single jumper wire ........if it opens then there is a short somewhere from opener to wall remote if not then it is the logic board

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

sorry ...................this last was sent in error