mrromex, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 40 years of all phases related to residential wiring and remodeling

Can i run 6/3 romex from inside directly into the back of a

Customer Question

Can i run 6/3 romex from inside directly into the back of a 60A outdoor flush mounted sub panel? I have been told yes and no with the debate being that disconnects are ran this way all the time and that the question is if the transition to the back of the box is considered a damp location.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

hi this is John and will be glad to the sub panel weather proof and mounted to an exterior wall??? if you are running the wire inside of a building then entering the back of the sub panel using the proper size connector, there should be no problem as long as the romex is not exposed. I would also recommend some type of sealant around the hole to prevent any leakage into the building.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am looking to use a surface mount box attached directly to the exterior of the house. This box particularly . It does not have a KO on the back so I was planning to drill a hole and use an arlington push button connector on the back and have the romex come straight into the back. I have been seeing conflicting information as to the acceptance of this by code as romex cannot be installed in wet or damp locations and that once the romex passed through the exterior wall it is considered to be in a damp location. Like I said, some people say its ok, some say it is against code....
Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

this is really no different than when they wire for an a/c disconnect, as long as the romex is not exposed to the elements......if it is going through a masonary wall then the wire should be shielded using pvc or a liquid tight application. if you were to bring the wire through a hole and mount the panel above the wire and then bend wire into panel that would be exposing the romex

Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

also I am assuming that even though you are using a 125 sub panel with main lugs, you are fusing it at the main panel with a 2 pole 60 amp breaker

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is correct. I will be using a 60 amp breaker to feed the panel and installing a second ground bar to float the neutral.
Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

make sure in the sub panel that you separate the grounds and neutrals and on the ground side it is bonded to the panel....eliminate any jumper between the two neutral bars. it sounds like you are on the right track and good luck with your install!!! don't forget to take the time and accept my answers and rate your experience with the site......

Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

checking back to see if you were able to complete your project andalso to remind you to accept my answer and to rate your experience with the website