Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I'm installing a ceiling fan. I have a red wire coming from

Customer Question

I'm installing a ceiling fan. I have a red wire coming from the ceiling box. I hooked up all but the red, hooking up 1) white to white 2) green to green and 3) blue & black to black. Now, the light works, but not the fan. I'm sure it has something to do with the red ceiling wire that is not hooked up to anything
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions.

What kind of switch do you have at the wall controlling this new fixture? The blue and black wires are for the fan and the light. If they are both connected to the black wire in the ceiling, when switched on both devices should function. Is the fan controlled by a pull chain as well? The non connected red could possibly be a second switch leg to control each the fan and light separately.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have two switches at the wall. One is a simple on/off and the other has three settings (probably for a fan???) The three setting switch has a black to red, black to the other switches black, and a ground
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it seems that the red from the ceiling is probably associated with the red on the three setting switch???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But, I am not an electrician and know very little about wiring.

Yes that sounds like it could be the case. The switch might be a 3 speed fan switch, and controlling the red wire.

Are there pull chains on the fan also?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think that is what it is. So, what do I do with the wiring from the ceiling to the fan?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
two pull chains, and NO remote

If you have both the black/blue connected with the black wire at the ceiling box, when you switch it on, you should be able to control the fan with the pull chain

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have it hooked up that way, and the fan is not working via the pull chain. The light does work via the pull chain
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Steven, Are you still with me???

The fan should work, it has power if both the black and blue are connected. Is there a pull chain for on/off and a pull chain for speed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One pull chain for light
one pull chain for fan

So is it a single speed fan, or does it need remote speed control? Do you know the make/model of this unit?

You may have to separate the black/blue in the ceiling and connect the blue to black and the black to the red. But lets try and look up the model to confirm what it needs

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just confirmed that the blue/black are tightly connected to the black.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is a three speed fan. Home Decorators Collection, model 51565
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Windward 44 inch ceiling fan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
From home depot

Great, thanks

Ok, so the way you have it connected, you should have speed control by the pull chain. You have confirmed the blue/black are tightly connected with the black. We know the black has power because the light switches on. The fan should work. Perhaps something inside the unit has become disconnected or the fan came defective out of the box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, it seems we are at the end of the road. Thank you for trying. I'm not sure what else it would be, unless it is defective out of the box. I was hopeful you could tell me of the red wire at the switch and from the ceiling, but I guess that has no bearing on it.

The red wire in the ceiling will be controlled by the other switch. If you want the fan and light to be controlled independently from each other connect the blue wire with the black wire ( that will turn the light on with the toggle switch) and connect the black wire with the red wire (that will control the fan with the other switch). But this fan is not working, you will have to replace the unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
to be clear - I connect blue wire from fan with black wire from ceiling. And I connect black wire from fan with red wire from ceiling? Should I try this?

Yes, that will control each the fan and the light by the 2 switches. You can try it, but the way you currently have it connected is powering the fan.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, it worked, sort of. The fan works with the light wall switch, and the light works with the 3 speed fan wall switch. So, the unit does work and is not defective, as you suggested.

Swap the connections at the ceiling to change the operations of the switches. The connection previous must not have been secured if the fan is now working on the switch.