mrromex, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 40 years of all phases related to residential wiring and remodeling

How do i connect an old 3 way light switch w. 2 red wires

Customer Question

How do i connect an old 3 way light switch w. 2 red wires and 1 white wire to a new leviton 3 way switch? Which wires go to which screw?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

hi this is john and will be glad to help......that is an odd combination but lets try it......on the switch there are two brass screws and one black or darker screw........if you take the two red wires and attach them to the two brass screws (doesn't matter right now which one goes where) then attach the white wire to the darker screw......please make sure you have the power to that switch turned off for this!!!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I scratched off the paint covering the screws on the old switch...white wire was connected to the upper right brass screw...1 red wire connected to upper left brass screw...remaining red wire was connected to black screw...I copied what was previously existing...(I made the change with each wire in place, copying exactly what was existing so I know I didn't get the red wires mixed up)...tuned power back on...nothing...
Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

I would try to switch the red wires if you are sure about the placement of the white appears they used a combination of red and white for the travelers and a red for leg or feed.....what is the combination of the wires in the other switch for tat light(s)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Note to self..check that the dimmer switch on the 2nd light switch isn't turned all the way DOWN before assuming the other light switch is no longer working! LMAO!!! Lesson learned!
Expert:  mrromex replied 3 months ago.

wow........sometimes the solution to the problem is easy as that!!!!! I'm glad it worked out!!!! don't forget to accept my answers and to rate your experience with this site.......Have a great day......John