Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am helping a friend to repair two lights between two 3 way

Customer Question

I am helping a friend to repair two lights between two 3 way switches one down stairs and one at the top of the stairs. The feed is down stairs and the netural is connected to others in the box. The red traveler and the black traveler is on the bottom of the 3 way switch. We are now at the first light fixture at the first landing. First of all there is no 14-2 in the fixture just two 3 wire cables coming in. The white netural is connected to the light and connects to the white going to the second light
What someone did they used the bare ground between both light to connect the black side of the lights. The bare wire was connect to the black traveler from the downstairs switch. The first light works fine it just can't be turn off upairstairs. I went upstairs to the 3 way and the red wire is connected all the way from downstairs to the bottom left of the 3 way upairstairs. The black is on the bottom right and the white has black tape on it which I assume is a switch leg. The bare ground wire in the upstairs light is connected to the black wire on the light fixture. When my friend changed out the downstairs light he got shocked of course. I removed the bare wires out of the circuit and grounded them properly however now there is no 3 way action either make the upairs light work with the light or the downstairs because now the two lights are not connected. I know there should be a 12-2 to run between the two lights but I understand the problem. From the attic to the lower landing there is no way to get to the light on the landing without major destruction of the walls and a boxed in landing. Is there any other way to make these to work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mrromex replied 8 months ago.

hi this is John and I will be glad to help you......a few questions......

at the switch at the bottom of the steps there is a red and black traveler as well as an additional black wire and also white wires that should be connected together with a wire nut?

at the top of the steps should be the same?

at the first light there is 2 sets of white, 2 sets of blacks, and 2 sets of ground wires?

at the next light there is 1 white, 1 black and 1 ground wire?

Expert:  mrromex replied 8 months ago.

assuming that the lights and switching worked at one time, I would like to try and hook up the way they are supposed to be and go from there. its possible that for whatever reason a wire stopped operating and someone tried to make it work with the wires that are available. when you are ready let me know and we can get started

Expert:  mrromex replied 8 months ago.