Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Will a 30 amp breaker be OK running 200 ft. 110 romex? I

Customer Question

Will a 30 amp breaker be OK running 200 ft. 110 romex?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I need to run 200 ft. of romex. I was wondering should I use a 20 or 30 amp breaker.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide more details? What is the application?

2) Is the 200 foot run on the exterior (underground run) or on the interior?

3) Installing a 30 amp breaker for a 120 volt circuit is a code violation unless the circuit will be used for a 120 volt/30 amp travel trailer receptacle. A 120 volt lighting and/or receptacle circuit needs to reside on either a 15 amp or a 20 amp breaker.

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

1) The National Electrical Code recommends that the voltage drop be limited to a maximum of 3%.

2) If installing a 20 amp/120 volt circuit @ 200 feet using aluminum conductors, this results in installing 4 AWG type XHHW rated insulation with a 2.8% voltage drop or a loss of 3.4 volts. Aluminum conductors will be more cost effective than copper.

3) If installing a 20 amp/120 volt circuit @ 200 feet using copper conductors, this results in installing 4 AWG type THWN rated insulation with a 2% voltage drop or a loss of 2.4 volts.

4) NM Romex cable is not rated for exterior and/or underground conditions as this will result in a code violation. If this is an underground install, grey electrical PVC, Sch. 40 conduit is recommended. Minimal burial depth below final grade is 18 inches. If the load at the end of the exterior run will contain receptacles, they must be GFCI protected.

5) The 20 amp circuit will require 3 conductors......ie.... 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)