machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South
75209918

Water has come through the from my bathroom after my shower

Customer Question

Water has come through the from my bathroom after my shower to my kitchen below. I came down to dripping from the light and a sort of "fizzing" sound. I have been able to switch off the downstairs lights from my fuse box and the fizzing has stopped but do I need to take down the light fitment as it will be wet. I know what the water problem is so I'm not to concerned about that but the electrics do concern me
Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
If you take the light fitment down and dry it thoroughly you may be able to still use it.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
Take every thing down leaving only the wires that are in the ceiling . Make dure the ends are not in contact with each other
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
Dry the fixture and check for rust, corrosion or any other signs of water damage
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
Leave it down until the leak has been repaired. Once there is no danger if more water the light can be reinstalled.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
Replace any parts that appesr damaged with new ones.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
Be sure and check under the bulb for moisture and corrosion before reinstalling.
Would be better to replace with a new fixture if possible.