Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I bought a new bathroom ceiling exhaust fan. It has a wide

Customer Question

I bought a new bathroom ceiling exhaust fan. It has a wide male-prong. Can I file the prong down to fit the existing female fitting?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) No, filing down a plug prong can present a potential safety issue.

2) If the prong ends do not fit into the receptacle, then there is a manufacturing defect in either the plug prongs and/or the receptacle. Return the product and get a replacement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No defect. The ceiling female is old style (both slots same size), the new fan plug is new style.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to fan the wide plug prong down to fit the old female receptacle.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ceiling fixture is 40 years old and hard-wired.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

1) If the fan is brand new, those are hard-wired to a wall switch and then the fan has an internal plug and an internal receptacle that is part of the fan unit assembly.

2) Are you stating that the receptacle is part of the home and not part of the fan unit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The receptacle is part of the home. All I did was unplug and remove the old fan and buy a replacement of the same size. The only problem is the size of one prong on the new unit. It is a regular plug-in connection in the bathroom ceiling.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just like plugging in a wall lamp.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

1) I've never heard of a bathroom exhaust fan that plugs into an external receptacle. Every bath fan that I've installed was always hard-wired.

2) Can you provide me with the manufacturer name and the model number of the bath fan?

3) Did you install all of the components of the fan including a new metal housing or did you purchase only a retro-fit kit......ie......... motor and plastic grill only and the original motor housing is still in place?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Century Electric Motors #CO1575 110v replacement ceiling fan. Listed as a common replacement item on Amazon.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just the motor and a plastic fan blade. Exact same size as the old one. Only the plug prong is different.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It fits the existing housing perfectly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The plug-in wire is about 4 inches long. The receptacle housing is built into the ceiling.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

OK, thanks for the replies.

You will need to replace the receptacle then. You have a polarized plug where the wide prong is the neutral. The smaller blade is for the hot wire. You will need a replacement receptacle.

I apologize if my reply is delayed. I have a tornado warning in my area and I may need to go into my basement very shortly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks! Be safe!
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

Thank you for the safe warning. There were 2 tornadoes that touched down around 20 miles from my home and they are heading in our direction. Sirens go ON then they go OFF. Am getting tired of going up and down into the basement:)

Getting back to the plug issue. If you replace the receptacle, the polarized cord will then be able to plug and fit into the ceiling receptacle.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks...................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)