Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have wired several whole houses but not a licensed

Customer Question

I have wired several whole houses but not a licensed electrician. Thought of doing something different, but want validation from one.
From my Main 200 Amp Entrance Box in the House, I have a 50 Amp Box Subpanel in my Well House. There was a #12 wire out to where we put the well in (about 50 feet) from the house. The Well company told me that a #12 wire would work just fine for the well house and to use a 30 Amp breaker to the Sub Panel on it.
I did and it has worked fine.
I had the opportunity to run a new #10 wire to the well house today but I have not hooked it to the subpanel yet.
My question is this: Can I leave the #12 from the main panel to the sub panel and replace the breaker with a 20Amp AND hook up the #10 wire as the feed wire to the subpanel and create up to 50 Amps by using both wires? One would be the subpanel feed and the other simply a breaker to the box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. To be code compliant and have a safe installation you need the following.

1) 50A feed needs a #6 wire minimum. A 4 conductor URD would be suggested. 2 hits, 1 neutral & 1 ground.

2) at the sub panel a driven ground rod with a #6 copper ground wire.

3) a 20A circuit can be ran to the pump on a GFCI breaker.