Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

My bf is helping me with my electrical. I have a 15 amp

Customer Question

My bf is helping me with my electrical. I have a 15 amp breaker for the dishwasher and garage disposal. He wants to change to 2 15 amp breakers. Would a dual breaker of 30 amps be a better choice? There is only 1 red and 1 black wire for attachment
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. To split the circuit would mean running a new additional circuit to the panel. I would suggest that only 20A circuits should be in a kitchen. Your existing circuit having the 2 appliances on it is a normal installation but should have been 20A. If the wire is a #12, you may only need to replace the breaker.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. If you have access from below, installing a new circuit to the dishwasher would be the easiest way to split the units.