Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

Is it possible to enstall a 220 or gher plug in a 1938 home

Customer Question

Is it possible to enstall a 220 or higher plug in a 1938 home with circuit breaker not fuse box . For a new window air conditioner.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome to just Answer/Pearl my name is***** will try to answer your electrical questions today!

If I'm comprehending your question you had a window air conditioner installed and now you need a 220 V circuit installed to power it.

if the existing wall wiring is 110 volts you will likely have to have a professional or someone qualified re-wire that particular wall receptacle to 220 volts ,this is of course your house has the 220v service modern homes have with room for a 2 pole breaker ( 2 120 volt measured to ground legs). The receptacle needs to be capable of powering your 220 volt unit so it need to be re-fed by the 2 pole breaker either with existing wire or capped off and new wire installed. The existing wire option would be limited to how many other receptacles are fed by the local circuit.