Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am replacing my almond colored outlets and switches in my

Customer Question

I am replacing my almond colored outlets and switches in my house. On one circuit, I replaced everything and then threw the breaker back on. It faulted so I went back and checked all my connections and and tried again. This time no power. I replaced the breaker and now I have no power! Checked the connection in the breaker box and the gfi's around the house. Any further ideas?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Thank you
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. I have been replacing some with no problems. This is the first trouble I've had.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a multimeter? You'll need to test as directed to locate the short.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No! I knew you were going to ask me that. Any other way?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 7 outlets and 3 switches on this circuit. The breaker is a Seimans double with 2 15 amp breakers.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Having one will make it much easier to avoid opening every box for visual inspection. Testing allows for opening one box and finding if the short is before or after that box. It's a matter of elimination.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I'll need to get one. Hardware store just up the street. Any recommendations?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will be about 20 minutes. Will you still be connected?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

I'll be online, take your time. If you have a Harbor Freight Store around, they have a clamp meter for $13.00. Does it all.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I'm back and I have a multimeter
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay Our site is running slow today. Did you read the instructions? Do you know the difference between voltage and continuity testing?