Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric

I am making a temporary indoor light fixture wedding

Customer Question

I am making a temporary indoor light fixture for a wedding reception using 5 edison bulbs that plugs into the wall. I am planning on running 14-2 cerrowire from the plug and connecting it to 5 strands of 18-2 gauge wire. My issue is that this 14-2 wire has a ground wire and the 18-2 does not - so what do I do with this ground wire to make a safe connection?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer my name is***** and I will try to answer your electrical question today!

Generally speaking you want the grounding (bare or green insulated conductor) to be mechanically bonded to the fixture as a chassis ground so any metal parts of the fixture if they become energized will cause the the circuit to short out and trip the over current protection (circuit breaker or fuse ). When fixtures are designed they need to meet Underwriter Laboratories (or another equipment listing agencies) standards before an electrician will wire one and install it, otherwise using non listed parts could present legal issues if a fire were to start. Since you are designing this fixture yourself I strongly suggest you ground any metallic parts of your design, and after you have produced the finish product do extensive testing to make sure the light functions, does not pull an excessive amount of amperage based on wattage of the bulbs and most importantly is thermally safe so it or other objects around it (like decorative coverings) do not catch fire.

I'm all for your enterprising initiative, just be wary, you do not want to bring a potential fire hazard into the reception hall. UL listings and the National Electric Code are electrical contractors safety net when installing equipment, please use extreme caution when designing your own circuits/ luminaries.