Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am replacing the power cord on a Maytag Neptune dryer. I

Customer Question

Hi Pearl......I am replacing the power cord on a Maytag Neptune dryer. I understand what to do with the Red, White and Black wires. However, there is no ground wire. There is a ground screw that is connected to a metal plate. Do I connect the green wire to the plate with the ground screw?? Paul
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Having a 4 wire cord the green attaches to the green screw. If there is a metal bonding clip from the green screw to the terminal block, remove it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The ground screw (it is just a plain screw - not green) is attached to a metal plate. Do I attach the green wire to the metal plate and connect both to the ground screw??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey Mike.......you there??
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

If the plate doesn't connect to the center termination on the block leave it and attach the ground wire. On a 3 wire application the bond is required but not on a 4 wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The wiring is on the plate......so I would connect the green wire with the plate with the ground screw.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

Correct.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank You !! Happy Father's Day !!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome and the same to you.