Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Just Bought a Hampton Bay 600 watt transformer. Worked

Customer Question

Just Bought a Hampton Bay 600 watt transformer. Worked perfect until we had a rain. Cannot turn on lights manually although everything is set on the transformer. Lights will not come on. What gives?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I plan on trying to solve the problem or return the Transformer.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That is it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I would think you tripped a GFCI because of water getting into the outlet. The outlet should have an sinuses cover which will prevent that. They are available at any home center. I suggest a Taymac Cover. They extend for use and collapse when not. Cost around $8.00
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The GFI is not tripped. The transofrmer works fine. The lights are not working
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
If it is as you say the only thing it can be is a bad connection failure from the transformer to the lights. If the failure happened after a rain it would have be coincidental and not rain induced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about a power surge during a thunderstorm? Could it have fried the transformer? As I understand it the transformer receives its power from the 120 volt outlet that would be the reason its conrol box is working as far as settings but it is not delivering to the lights.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

That could be a possibility. Check the output with a 2 wire voltage tester or look for a spark whilst putting something metal across the terminals quickly.