Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am installing a new ceiling fan (I have installed other

Customer Question

I am installing a new ceiling fan (I have installed other electrical devices and understand the mechanics of them). Unfortunately I did not pay attention to how the prior fan was installed.
My fan has a remote box. So I installed the black (hot) wire into the black wire (AC L) in the box. I installed the white (neutral) wire to the white wire (AC N) in the box. All connections are secure, and I actually did not put them back in the ceiling so I could test (and I know they are not touching each other). The red wire remains capped from the prior fan (also remote powered)
I turn the power back on from the breaker, flip the switch, sparks fly and the fuse "blows"
No idea what to do or what is wrong.
If everything is disconnected and I flip the switch the fuse blows (which makes sense to me because the circuit is not complete.... is this a correct way of thinking?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 5 months ago.

Hello Marcus, welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** will try to answer your electrical question today.

If the fuse is still blowing one of the wires is actually shorting to ground is this a metal box ? it's possible the neutral and black wire are skinned and touching each other or the metal of the clamp where they enter the box in the ceiling, I know you likely haven't moved them around too much, but if they were skinned some when they were installed it's possible they were moved some and are shorting now. I'd examine the j box in the ceiling thoroughly to see where the circuit is shorting out.