Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I'm wiring a light controlled by a single pole switch, and

Customer Question

I'm wiring a light controlled by a single pole switch, and the light has constant power so when I wire the light, the light automatically turns on and the switch does nothing, so how would I wire the light or what would I do
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please tell me the number and colors of the wires in the ceiling box and colors connected to the fixture. Also I need to know the wire colors on the switch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There's a splice with three black in the fixture and three white, it's old wiring and on the switch is one wire coming in and there's a pigtail for each terminal
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

:Are you saying that there are 3 terminations on the switch and that all wires in the ceiling are connected by color with none free for connection to the fixture? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

A picture of both boxes would help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The switch is a single pole so that means 2 terminations and yeah the wires are connected correctly but there is constant power
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Can't be correct if the wires in the ceiling are all connected black to black....white to white. There has to be one wire switched. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Disconnect the black wires at the ceiling, find which one is a hot, one at a time connect a black to it and test at the switch to identify the wire from the ceiling. The white wire paired with that black should be connected to the hot with all the other blacks. The identified black and the white wires connection is where to connect the fixture.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ohhh, okay so the white of the live wire is what I splice with the other blacks, then the other two whites will be a seperate splice?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

No, the white to the switch with the blacks. Black to switch tofixture. Remaining whites to fixture.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay sounds good, now how would I identify the white from the switch
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

It'paired with theblack you identified. When connected to the hot it will have voltage at the switch.

Anytime you see a white connected to a black it is going to a switch. That's the norm.____

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I'll give it a go and let you know, thanks a lot for your time
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Very good, you're welcome.