Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
92448011

I have a gfci light switch on top, outlet on bottom. The

Customer Question

I have a gfci light switch on top, outlet on bottom. The light & outlet switch I'm replacing had a red wire on the brass line terminal, a blue wire on the brass line terminal and a white wire on the silver load terminal. How do I connect the gfci switch with the 2 black switch lead wires?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions.

What make/model is your new gfci/switch device? Any pictures of the existing wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I decline the call. The switch is a leviton
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont know model #

Is the old switch still connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Does the red or blue wire come from a group of connected wires? Or just straight from a cable at the back of the box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's only one cable coming into the box

With a red blue white and ground ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ground

And is this gfci/switch the only device in this box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any type of voltage tester?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do

Can you test to see which one of those wires is powered

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, but the power is off right now because working on another switch

Oh ok. Well that's fine, you can test it when your ready. But the wire that is powered and one of the black leads from the switch can both terminate under the brass line screw on the gfci. The wire that is not powered will connect to the other black lead from the switch. The white wire will terminate under the silver line screw on the gfci.

How did you make out? Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.