Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) Turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and back out the wall switch from the box but do not disconnect any wires from it.
2) How many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The number and colors of the wires, if they were all on a switch, that would suggest it was a 3 way switch and there is another switch that previously also controlled the light. A modification of the connections and capping the red wire is where the problem is. Please confirm.
You sent a picture of a single pole switch with a red and black wire on it. Is that the second switch or the one you were working with?
OK, that makes a big difference. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? You need to identify which of the 3 wires is the hot.
Hold on. Let's try it another way first.
1) Is the white wire connected in the switch box?
2) In the ceiling box, how are the 3 wire cable wires connected?
3) Give me the count and colors of all wires in the ceiling box not including the fan leads.
Cap it. A tester would allow for me not to guess. It may be an unswitched hot, which could be used for the fan and if the red is switched it could be used for the light. Testing would be better than a guess
Very good, hope it goes well.