Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Our fan stopped working after a power outage, it is

Customer Question

Our fan stopped working after a power outage, it is Redington III with remote.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Don. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Do you know if the power flickered at all when it went out? Was it due to a storm with lightening?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The power went out all over the house, TV reset etc
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately, the small printed circuit boards in ceiling fan remote receivers are pretty sensitive. They don't handle power outages or surges well at all.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It's pretty common for them to fail when the electricity in the house is unstable.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

If you would like me to do so, I can walk you through bypassing the receiver, to see if it is the faulty component.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't want to talk live, I would prefer something I don't need to remember. I'm able to do electrical work but the memory part is not very good anymore.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

OK, no problem. We can proceed in whatever manner works best for you. Would you like me to type out instructions here for bypassing the receiver?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that would be great.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

The remote receiver in the fan is generally located in one of two places. It's most often in the canopy section. That's the uppermost part of the fan assembly, just below the ceiling. The canopy is a decorative cover that hides the wires. There are usually about 3 screws holding the canopy in place. If it's not in the canopy, it should be between the fan motor and the light kit. This location is not used as often as the canopy section.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Once you locate the receiver, you should see two sets of wires coming out of it, plus an antenna. The wires are in groups, with a black/white set, and a black/white/blue set. If you take the splices on the two whites apart, and connect the white coming from the light kit to the white coming down toward the motor, and then connect the black and blue from the fan/light assembly to the black coming down toward the motor, you can then turn the wall switch and/or circuit breaker back on and test operation. If everything works with the receiver bypassed, you can get a new receiver. I can recommend a product for you if you would like me to do so. If you want an exact replacement, I can post a link to a website that would have it in stock.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you sending by email?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

No sir. I don't have access to your email address. But you can come back to this site at any time and view the instructions I posted.