Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My garage door motor not working, I have replaced the

Customer Question

My garage door motor not working, I have replaced the capacitor and door motor will not work. The yellow light to program blinks 5 times when trying to operate door.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My garage door motor not working, I replaced the capacitor and door motor will not work, the yellow light on the motor blinks 5 times but motor does not run
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: A week before it stopped completely it would work intermittent
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? 5 TIMES The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

9-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1.Make & model Chamberlain Lift Master
2. How old - 7/26/2005
3.senor lights on
4.all controls not working
5.blinks 5 times and pauses
Learn button is purple
6.I don't know if there has been any electrical disruptions.
7.using original equipment
8.hit the remote, I hear clicks then nothing
9.yes I have replaced the torsion springs last year and the capacitor yesterday
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.

sorry one other question.............do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

It could possibly be that the gear on that drive might be chewed up .......if you want to take a look at that ............there probably is a cover plate right on top with 2 screws ........................let me know ....i have to go offline for a bit but will check back as soon as I can

thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.

....I have to go offline for a bit but will check back as soon as I can

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's belt drive and that was the first thing I looked at. The motor does not kick in. All I hear is 2 clicks when I hit remote. I believe it's going to be the control board relays and I would have to buy the whole unit.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.

Hi Steve ........sorry to say but that does sound like to me also where the problem lies........you can try and repair this one with a new logic board which will range from 80. to 120. or you might want to think of a new user friendly, more diagnostically capable unit which start at 150. and you have on your side that you sound more than capable of at minimum a weekend project...........but let me know we can do a little more smoke and mirror show on this one if you want

Thanks

eddie

PS the site is having a little problems today ..........thanks for being patient

Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie