Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I am renovating my house and have 5 - 1 bedroom apartments.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I am renovating my house and have 5 - 1 bedroom apartments. Electrician has recommended 100 amps per unit and I'm wondering if
this enough?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Hi Pearl, I am renovating my house in New York City and have 5 - 1 bedroom apartments. Electrician has recommended 100 amps per unit and I'm wondering if this enough for each one?
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: There will be gas stove but electric heat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Usually 100A was a fine minimum but with electrical cars around the corner i would go to 200A. In the news i saw that Ontario yesterday anounced they want to make mandatory electric car charger on each new house from now on. Even for that, many think electric car will always be a second cars, but what happen when you need to charge two main electric cars, 200A start to be low in some situations.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Martin,
I am confused with your response. Is 100amp per unit sufficient to run a 1 bedroom apartment with a gas stove and electric heat and your usual ordinary appliances.Thanks, kathy
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Yes it is. I was just mentioning that if the renters eventually want to have a charging plug for electrical cars 100A would be a little low. As SNK was saying: "The Futur is Now" :)