Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

The overhead light in my kitchen doesn't work. I thought it

Customer Question

The overhead light in my kitchen doesn't work. I thought it was just a bulb issue but one of the GFCI outlets has a yellow light on. Other outlets in the kitchen have a green light and work. The 3 outlets that are connected to the GFCI outlet do not appear to be working. I tried resetting the breaker but no luck. If I press the reset button on the GFCI outlet, the light goes off but releasing it makes it come back on (yellow). Help!
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..if you can't reset the GFCI, then one of two things is happening: the GFCI receptacle itself is bad or you have a fault in the downstream wiring i.e. the receptacles or lights connected to the GFI have a fault.

To check this out you would need a voltmeter. Do you have one handy? If so, I can help you out.