Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Guy washed my house. Now outside outlet has orange light and

Customer Question

Guy washed my house. Now outside outlet has orange light and doesn't work. Also outside porch light doesn't come on. Does it need to dry out or do I get an electrician?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I think these things got water in them. Fine before.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of but we do have a short with a bathroom light. These both worked outside before pressure washing the house.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. From your description I would suspect that water got into the outlet. I suggest opening the box and pulling the GFCI out to allow it yo dry. When replaced the gasket should be checked and replaced if necessary. A bead of caulk around the cover will also seal it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that something an amateur can do. Turn off breaker and open it up? Maybe blow dry? If nothing done will it dry on its own with outdoor heat or does it have to be opened?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

With the breaker off it will be safe for you to dry it out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome.