Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I need to mount a 125a main breaker in my old Zinsco box. I

Customer Question

I need to mount a 125a main breaker in my old Zinsco box. I want to run the wire in one side of the breaker and out the other side to the sub panel. Is there a breaker for this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) My recommendation is to de-install the Zinsco panel and install a more modernized panel such as an Eaton or Square-D or GE, etc.

2) Are you aware that Zinsco panels have been known to be potential fire hazards? Ask any licensed electrical contractor or state licensed home inspector or local electrical inspector and they will advise you that the Zinsco panel should have been de-installed 40 some years ago and upgraded. All Zinsco panels have seen end of life:)

3) Refer to the link shown below and you may change your mind on trying to nurse along a manufacturer deficient panel such as a Zinsco panel:

http://www.ismypanelsafe.com/zinsco.aspx

4) About the only store that you will be able to locate and purchase a Zinsco replacement main breaker will be a local electrical supply store and it will be a refurbished breaker. Zinsco is long gone and out of business.

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

The two most taboo electrical panels in the electrical industry are Federal Pacific and Zinsco:)

When it comes time to resale the home, a high probability that the next home buyer will hire a state licensed home inspector and the inspection report for the electrical will not be in your favor. In addition, many financial institutions will not provide a mortgage to a potential home buyer if they find out that a Zinsco panel is currently installed.

As a licensed electrical contractor and as a former state licensed home inspector and a former local electrical inspector, I've been down this road many a time:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)