Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I removed a light fixture in order to replace it during

Customer Question

Hi, I removed a light fixture in order to replace it during after painting. I capped the individual black white and ground wires and made no changes in the switch that controls the light. When the fixture was removed, the breaker tripped and will not allow reset. My tester shows power to the switch and nearby plug, but not power in the light wires. I tried to reinstall the fixture but the breaker will still not reset. Any suggestions?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: yes, I need to know how to temporarily bypass or close the circuit to the fixture because other needed lights are on the same circuit and they too will not work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Are you turning the breaker fully to the off position before trying to turn it on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried that many times. The only thing that was done was the removal of an old light fixture. Could removing that fixture cause a breaker trip and could having an 'Open"/completed circuit (wires not connected to a fixture as with the old one) cause the breaker to stay tripped?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wondered whether or not if would help if I wired a receptacle in the the wires that powered the light fixture, if that would complete what could be an open circuit and temporally allow the breaker reset so all other light would work.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Examine the wires where they enter the box. Sometimes when installed, when the sheath is removed a wire may have its insulation cut. When you moved them while dropping the fixture they may have shorted.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Give me a few moments to check the wires carefully and I will let you know.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Very good.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately I will have to check this later and get back to you. The painters are working on the room with the problem fixture and I am unable to access it now. How do I get back to you to continue this same chat?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

The question remains open, come back as you have been doing when you're ready to continue.