Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Only one side of my tandem 15 amp breaker trips...should I

Customer Question

Only one side of my tandem 15 amp breaker trips...should I replace it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: A number of plugs are tied into this 15 amp tandem breaker...when it trips only one side (switch) trips...not both.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: It's obviously overloaded but I'm thinking the tandem breaker may simply need to be replaced...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I would first suggest swapping the circuit to another breaker on the same phase to see if it still trips in its new position. This will show if the breaker or the circuit is the cause.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one side of the tandem breaker most likely is not "tired"?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

You need to verify as directed. If they are split twins, ones that can be sepersted from each other, they have poor attachments to the buss and often open up allowing for arcing and heat which trips the breaker. If split twins replace both with a single twin breaker. They don't have that problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What's in is a Westinghouse BD 1515 Twin Pole...the replacement I bought is a Siemans Q1515 that says Two 1 Pole Units.I think I need to find a single twin breaker as you suggest...?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

You need to test as suggested before buying a replacement. Verification is required.