Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a hot 14/2 run coming out of the ceiling. Im trying

Customer Question

I have a hot 14/2 run coming out of the ceiling. Im trying to install 2 cans on one single pole switch then have a porch light i want to put on to a second single pole switch, then run a motion light direct with no switch. Can u help put together a diagram
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I need a little more info.

1) is the 14/2 a hot pair or is it switched?

2) do you intend on extending the 14/2 to the first light for a junction or do you have access for installation of a junction box?

3) I suggest a switch installed on all lights. The motion detectorhas a function of staying on when the switch is flipped twice. You may want that at some time. Also it will isolated that fixture when troubleshooting a problem on that circuit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The 14/2 is hot and not switched
Im planning on a juction boxing
I have access to the junction to disconnect the motion if need bet the space for three switches is not available
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Very good, I make a diagram and post it when completed. I need to get back to my PC first. Please stand by.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Attached is the diagram. By code you are required to install an AFCI breaker on all circuit extensions over 6 ft for 120V

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just black to black white to white
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

That's it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok then that was just totally over thought on my ty
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Better to ask if in doubt.