Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I plugged an extension cord into an outlet and sparks flew.

Customer Question

I plugged an extension cord into an outlet and sparks flew. All of the lights in that room and another went out, but I still have power in other rooms of the house. No circuit breaker was tripped but I did try turning them off and back on.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I recommend to turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and check that receptacle box for any loose wire terminations or faulty wire nut splices. The sparks were an arc flash due to a direct short circuit.

2) If all OK, unplug the extension cord and take a voltage measurement at the wall receptacle using a multi-meter from Hot to Neutral, Hot to Ground and from Neutral to Ground.

H to N and H to G should measure approx 120 volts.

N to G should measure 0 volts or very close to 0 volts.

3) Wires on devices should terminate to the side terminal screws and not to any back-stab hole inserts.

4) Unplug the extension cord as it may be faulty and plug a direct lamp or radio cord into the receptacle and confirm if it is working correctly.

Reply back to me and let me know what you find..........Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)