Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a lutron 3 way switch. It has a red, black. ground

Customer Question

Hello. i have a lutron 3 way switch. It has a red, black. ground and red/white wire. The old switch had two red and 2 white wires hooked to the switch with the black wires tied together. Im not sure how to wire the new switch.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I wired it and the dimmer and on/off switch work, but the other two light swithes wont turn the lights off.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the model number of the Lutron 3-way?

2) How many different wall switch locations control the same lights? 2 or 3 different wall switches?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
skylark c-l scl=153ph-wh 3 swithes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The switch I replaced had 2 red wires on one side and 2 white wires on the other with the ground wire attached.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Sounds like you have a 4-way switching circuit where the switch you replaced was a 4-way switch since it contained 4 screws (not including a green ground screw) and there were two other 3-ways, is this correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i believe so.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Unfortunately, you purchased the wrong switch. The switch that you purchased can be configured for either a single pole or a 3-way dimmer application.

2) On a 4-way dimming circuit, only one of the 3-ways can be the dimmer. The 4-way switch contains 4 screws and the the 2nd 3-way switch must be a ON/OFF 3-way where it contains 3 screw terminals.

3) You can't replace a 4-way switch with a 3-way dimmer switch if the circuit is configured as a 4-way. You need a 4-way ON/OFF light switch. They don't manufacture 4-way dimming switches, only 3-way's.

4) 4-way switches will have 4 wires and 3-way switches will have 3 wires (excluding the green ground wire)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Shown in the diagram below is a 4-way switching circuit. Notice that the two end switches are both 3-ways and the middle is a 4-way? Only one of the 3-ways can be a dimmer on a 4-way dimming lighting circuit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. thank you very much.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

No problem, glad to assist.

1) Take a look at the Home Depot link shown below. You will notice that they don't sell a 4-way dimmer switch since nobody manufactures a 4-way dimmer.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/4+way+switch?NCNI-5

2) If replacing a 4-way switch, you will need a similar replacement 4-way that contains 4 screws for the 4 wires and 1 green ground screw for the ground wire.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great service.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thank you.

Please rate me on your end before you log off.

Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)