JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-
JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4-,
Experience:  Journeyman Electrician, Lead Man (Sub-Foreman) at Romanoff Electric
93576554

I have a 10-2g wire running from a 20amp circuit run from a

Customer Question

I have a 10-2g wire running from a 20amp circuit run from a outdoor sub panel. Originally, this panel had a 220 circuit for a well and another 15amp circuit for an outlet. Each with a 10-2 wire running to them. I am converting the 110 outlet into a 20amp 220v circuit to feed a small cabin. The cabin is approx. 100ft past the existing outlet box. The existing outlet box is a weatherproof box connected to the sub panel by schedule 40 conduit. Can I pull 110v receptacle by using one of the hots at the junction box and use the bare wire as a ground?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please confirm the following so I can better understanding of your layout.

A) The home has a main panel and you also have an exterior sub-panel. Then you want to install a shared neutral circuit that will provide two 120 volt circuits at the cabin or one 240 volt circuit, is this correct?

2) How will you feed the cabin? Using underground feeder wire or conduit?

3) Will the cabin circuit be fed from the existing sub-panel? What is the approximate distance from the sub-panel to the cabin?

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

1) Or are you intending on installing another sub-panel at the cabin?

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-1eysp1u4- replied 6 months ago.

Hello , welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** will try to answer your electrical question today!

If I'm reading and understanding your question correctly you are asking if you can use the bare copper wire as a current carrying grounded conductor in your circuit, unfortunately this is a major code violation and a no no because of the potential dangers. A circuit's current is always trying to find the easiest path back to it's source, and having an un- insulated conductor as that path where it could come into contact with a multitude of things that could cause damage or injury is a big No NO . Theoretically you will create a path for a 120 volt circuit to operate , but the potential dangers of doing so warrant you run another insulated conductor to operate your outlet, so if this is 10-2 run a 10-3 instead.

Thank you for your question, if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask , and please don not forget to rate me, have a nice day !