Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Our replacement Universal Bathroom Fan Replacement Electric

Customer Question

Our replacement Universal Bathroom Fan Replacement Electric Motor Kit with Fan 115 volts C01575 is blowing air into the bathroom rather than out. How can we get it blow out?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Thank you - Can we just rewire the AC plug?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes - already have it ready to go. Just need to change that rotation direction where we cannot flip the motor.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't think so, it is a very simple replacement motor that fits exactly into the space. Plug prong is has ground (one side larger than the other) so only fits one way into the outlet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Have you checked the flapper and/or the exhaust ducting and confirmed that it is not blocked and not allowing exhaust air flow?

2) I doubt it that the fan motor has a reverse switch on it or if it has a reversible motor? But you may want to confirm that.

3) If no motor reverse switch and no blockage, I recommend to return the motor and get a replacement as it is not wired correctly and is most likely an out-of-box failure from the manufacturer. I've installed tons of Nutone and Broan bathroom exhaust fans over the years and have never seen one that had a reversible motor or when the motor pulled in air and not exhausted air flow.

You can't just swap the hot and neutral on the majority of 120V AC motors as it will not reverse rotation in most applications. About the only 120 volt motors that I know of that are reversible are ceiling fans and electric drills.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)