Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I installed two new adornes. They have set up a new house ID

Customer Question

I installed two new adornes. They have set up a new house ID and will not join the rest of the house. How do I get them to join the other switches?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If you are following the setup instructions and the don't respond your problem more than likely is signal loss. Z-wave type switches need to be on the same service phase to shake hands with acontroller. You may need to install a signal bridge/amplifier at the panel to get them to operate. If you know the circuit they are on, as a test move the breaker up or down one position and test them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We have more than 30 of these switches on different breakers around the house. One of the new ones is on the same breaker as some of the others.

The two new ones seem to be on the same house ID, as I can pair them together, and when I put one into pairing mode, the other blinks green. I need a way to have these switches abandon their current house ID and fall in line with the others. Any ideas?

Michael

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

If they have dialed settings the code is set using the letter for house code and the number for switch address. If not, Z-wave type switches have a small push button on the edge of the face. You need to depress the button which puts it into ready mode, it will await the next signal and keep it as its code. You would push the switch you want as a control and its signal would mate with the one being addressed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Help me understand - you want me to push the button on the right side of one of the new switches' faces. Then I push one of the existing switches fro five seconds until it blinks amber. Then the new switch should join the existing house ID?

I am away from the house now, but I think I tried this last night. I also tried holding the new switch until it triggered a factory reset.

Michael

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Please try it again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just tried same result.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Well it is either not getting the signal or defective. Having 2 acting the same, I would say lack of signal. Try moving the breaker for that switch to the next position in the panel to change the phase. If that does it, get an amplifier bridge for the panel. That will correct the issue of jumping across phases and signal strength.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

One other possibility is you have the line and load wires reversed.