Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.

I have a client who is purchasing a home that has some knob

Customer Question

I have a client who is purchasing a home that has some knob and tube wiring. It is located in the basement and the attic. I'm trying to find an estimate to replace this with traditional wiring
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: That's about it. I need an estimate, which I know is hard to do without seeing the home as we are in the process of negotiating inspections.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: That's about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, figure $2,000 to $5,000 on average, depending on the extent of the knob and tube wiring to be replaced...and the wall construction (lath and plaster or sheet rock), and crawl space, attic or basement access.

We can go from there if you rate this answer positively. a more accurate answer will require drawings and photo graphs and take me an hour or longer.