Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I'm interested in purchasing a two stage air compressor

Customer Question

I'm interested in purchasing a two stage air compressor which has a motor that will draw a nominal 22 amps. Will a 30 amp breaker and 10 gage wire be satisfactory for this installation?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I will need to run a new dedicated circuit for the compressor. It will originate in my 100 amp main panel in my shop.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: The run will be about 40 feet from the panel.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the nameplate information located on the compressor motor. I need to know the voltage, phase and FLA (Full Load Amp) rating and the motor horsepower.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Based on the Amperage and distance given a #10 copper wire and a 30A breaker will be OK.