Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I'm wireing a hot tub rated amps. I have installed a 240v 40

Customer Question

hi i'm wireing a hot tub rated for 40 amps. I have installed a 240v 40 amp gfci breaker in the main panel box. also installed 240v 40 amp gfci in the disconnect box out side near the hot tub. so they are wired in series. other than possible nusance tripping it this ok? they are wired correctly. I have taken the electricians course. we had already bought one breaker before we bought the disconnect box not knowing it to came with a 40 amp gfci. thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Having the two GFCI breakers will work but only one is necessary. I suggest removing the one in the panel and returning it and exchange for a standard 2 pole breaker. Save you a couple of bucks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i'm not worrying about the money. I just want to make sure its safe wired that way. so its safe right?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Yes it's safe.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks for your help. I have wired a few 120v gfci on the same circuit .I was instructed to do so by a hydro inspector. so I figured it would be the same for 240v gfci's. just wanted to make sure, don't want anyone injured.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Anytime, you're welcome.