Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

My hot tub is plug and play and has a gfci on the plug..I

Customer Question

My hot tub is plug and play and has a gfci on the plug..I accidentally plugged a refrigerator on the same circuit..he caused the breaker to trip. I reset the breaker however the GFCI plug on the spa will not reset
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: The spa is not getting any.power. I tested the outlet and it is working
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'llbeassisting you. Tryhitting the sides of the plug with a screwdriver handle. The reset may be hung up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried that it didn't work..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

If the breaker reset and you tested the outlet for 120V, the GFCI must be defective. Replacement is the only alternative.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok but you think it's just the plug and not anything with the spa itself?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

The GFCI plug having power should reset. Are you sure the outlet has 120V hot to neutral? You should be testing with a 2 wire voltage tester or plug in a lamp to check.