ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a Hunter fan and when turning on my light one

Customer Question

I have a Hunter fan and when turning on my light one evening, there was a pop and a flash and one bulb became scorched.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: When I pulled the chain it slipped out of my hand. Then the flash and pop occurred.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: The light on the fan no longer works but the fan does
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 7 months ago.
From your description it sounds like you may have pulled the chain a but too hard during the excitement and damaged the switch. If you have a multimeter or a test light you could verify that one side of the pull switch is getting power. The original pop could have been a lamp blowing, just a coincidence that it happened when it did. If you have power going to the switch but not coming out of it this which would need to be replaced. This is a relatively simple task. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you