Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.

I bought an ac unit and the plug is 230v 15a can i change

Customer Question

i bought an ac unit and the plug is 230v 15a can i change the receptical to match?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: i purchased an ac to replace the one i bought a few years ago it is the same model except they change the plug from a standererd to a 230v 15a can i change the plug?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: i know just enough to hurt myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 5 months ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions.

It is possible to change the receptacle yes, but highly unlikely. Most receptacles in homes are wired in a bit of a loop so that the wiring runs from one to the other in the room. In order for you to be able to change the outlet to 240V it would have to have it's own dedicated run straight from the panel, and you could change it to a 240V outlet and 2pole 15amp breaker.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have to re wire the outlet that is what i thought thank you

Most likely yes, you will have to run a new circuit 240V 15 amp from the panel and install a new receptacle. Or search for a 120 volt replacement unit.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns, if not thank you for using Just Answer and have a great evening.

Expert:  Steven Parent replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If not, please don't forget to accept and rate. Thanks.