Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

We have aluminum wiring and are trying to install a new

Customer Question

We have aluminum wiring and are trying to install a new energy efficient dishwasher
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The big box store we bought the dishwasher from won't install it because of the aluminum wiring. We want to install it ourselves, but want it to be safe.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. All you need do is to make the connections using Alumicon connectors. They are available at most home centers and are approved for the purpose.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We just put those on the existing wires that are hard wired to the old dishwasher or do we need to install a plug?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
They are made Tomlin aluminum wires to copper wires. They are the only thing you can use. Do not use an Ideal 65 wirenut. They are only good for grounds and as a temp connection.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also how do I know if I need the two or three connector? I was hoping to go find some prior to my husband getting off work. So far I am just seeing the two connector kind at home depot and lowes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2 port and 3 port rather
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
2 port.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you. If they only have 3 port in stock will that work. I don't want to get over there and them only have that and not get it if it will work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can we just install a new plug and plug it directly into that verses using a hardwire?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
3 port will work. It will have an unused port is all. Get two Alumicons and one Ideal65 for the ground. You may need to install a short copper wire to the ground screw and then connect to the cable ground with the 65.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Due to the fact that you discovered aluminum wiring I suggest that you consider a remediation of it. The work entails the use of COALR devices for receptacles and switches. All connection made with Alumicon connectors and I also suggest installing AFCI breakers. The connection on aluminum wire is where the failures occurred. The arcing melts the insulation and Burns the wire off. At least the circuit goes dead and at worst you'll have a fire. When homes are inspected for sale the aluminum wiring becomes a major issue. Might as well enjoy the safety of a remediation rather than take a chance and only have to do it when you sell the home.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He addressed my questions and answered all of them quickly and in a way that was easy to understand.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Anytime, you're welcome.