Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a hunter type 3 fan. remote is broken and out of

Customer Question

I have a hunter type 3 fan. remote is broken and out of stock. i want to wire it so the fan just operates normal on and off with the wall switch without the remote
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: which wires go where
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 6 months ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions.

Is this just a ceiling fan? Or a fan light combo? What controls do you have on the remote? Is the wall switch existing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Steve. its a light fan combo. i have it disconnected and the power is off on the switch. the switch already exists in the wall... I'm basically trying to just ditch the receiver and make the wires work so that the fan turns on and off from the wall. (its 3 speed i would like the highest speed if possible).... i can take a picture

Does it have a pull chain as well? or just the remote?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just remote
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just sent you pictures if you got them

Ok

The first picture is the fan/light unit. The second picture is where the power connects to? And then the 2 plug in together?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Do you have the whole thing disconnect and down from the ceiling ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not the actual fan itself, but the first picture yes which is where the receiver is connected to

Ok, well the unit is designed to just have switched power into the receiver and then the receiver controls the fan. I am not sure which wires do what, so I will opt out and let another expert chime in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) At the top of the fan wiring harness, you should have 1 black ,1 white, 1 blue and 1 green ground wire, is that correct?

2) How many and what are the house wire colors in the ceiling fan box?

3) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?

4) Was the fan receiver located under the ceiling canopy cover or inside the fan motor area?

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)