Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I own a house built in 1960. It currently has a 100 amp

Customer Question

I own a house built in 1960. It currently has a 100 amp service. I am upgrading to either 150 amp service or a 200 amp service. do i have to change out the wiring from the panel box to the electrical meter for 150 amp? 200 amp? Also, is the wiring from the meter to the electrical pole (utility owned) upgraded?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions. If you were to upgrade to a 200 amp service, everything from where the utility wiring ends to where you branch circuits start has to be upgraded to 200 amp. You would need 200 amp wire from the utility connection to your meter. A 200 amp meter socket. 200 amp wire from the meter to your panel. Also would need a 200 amp rated panel, along with main breaker.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
YOU DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION ABOUT CHANGING OUT FRO A 100 AMP SERVICE TO A 150 AMP SERVICE
Oh, Sorry, you said 150 or 200. It will be the same for 150 Amp as well. Whatever amperage of service you are upgrading to, you need to make sure that your equipment and wire is minimum rated to that amperage.