Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a gfci outlet in my third car garage. It trips every

Customer Question

I have a gfci outlet in my third car garage. It trips every time it rains. When it trips, it trips a non-gfci outlet in my main garage.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: That regular other has a refrigerator plugged in so when the gfci trips, the fridge turns off and we keep losing the stuff that fridge
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: The gfci isn't convenient to access, especially when it's raining. Can I switch the gfci in the third car with the reg outlet in the main garage?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi,I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. It would seem that water infiltration at the exterior outlet is what happens. You may reconfigure the connection at that outlet to continue the circuit without GFCI protection from that outlet. Install a GFCI receptacle at the refrigerator outlet as an alternative.