Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I hooked up a lutron 120v-60hz dimmer&motion sensor unit in

Customer Question

I hooked up a lutron 120v-60hz dimmer&motion sensor unit in my room beside my livingroom and the dimmer works fine but the lights or the outlets are not working in the other room and I checked the braker and it's not tripped what could be the problem
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) More than likely, the feed to the other room resides within the dimmer switch box and there is a loose or faulty splice connection within that wall box. Or the circuit feed to the other room is not spliced to the dimmer hot and may be reversed and could be spliced to the dimmer switched loop connection.

2) If the dimmer is a single pole type, there will be 2 wires (not including the ground wire). One wire is the hot circuit feed that needs to be spliced to the downstream lights/receptacles. The 2nd wire is the switched loop which extends to the light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 3 wires and a cooper wire 4 in total and cold this be a serious problem
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Most likely, the 3 wires are the hot circuit feed, the switched loop wire to the light and the hot wire that extends to the other room.

2) If a faulty wire splice or a loose connection is present, electrical arcing can occur which can lead to a potential safety issue.

3) If you have an AC voltmeter available, this can confirm if the other room has a loose hot or a loose neutral wire connection by taking voltage measurements at the dead receptacles.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)