Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Bathroom fan replacement. Cant figure out wiring. 2 white

Customer Question

Bathroom fan replacement. Cant figure out wiring. 2 white cabled wire. 1 blue. Two white go to double swotch in bathroom
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Red hot wire to heater. Blue to light. Black to fan. All have white of course and grounded with single green. Nutone 665rp
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: Dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi,I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. How many and what color are the house wires?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
9 wires 3 ground 3 white 3 black
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
OK, how many switches and what color wires on each of them? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester, if needed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Voltage tester broken 2 swoithes black white and ground for both
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It looks like they are at the end of the 2 white cables in attic. 3rd cabl blue
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
With only the 2 switches, thefan and light must be on one switch Ans the heater on the second. One pair of house wires are the hot feed pair. Without a tester we can't identify which ones. Get a tester and we can continue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The blue cable is hot
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
OK if so the connections are as follows.Blue cable black wire to the white wires of the other cables. Should be marked with black tape identifying them as hots.Blue cable white to the other unit whitesBlack from switch to black and blue of fanRemaining black to red