Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

When i plu JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more

Customer Question

When i plu
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: When i plug in my 4 prong cord to the outlet for my dryer nothing happens. I looked in the breaker box in the garage, but there is nothibg labeled dryer
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: We just moved in. I know it has to work because the vent duct has dust so the previous owners had power
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 6 months ago.
Hello welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions. Is your dryer located in the garage? It is possible the circuit is fed from the main panel in the house as well. There should be a 2 pole 30 amp breaker feeding that outlet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No the dryer is in the utility room. The washer works fine but the dryer outlet seems like there is no power
Do you have any kind of voltage tester? How many 2 pole 30 amp breakers are in your panel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a tester. The dryer and cord are new. How do the pole amp breakers look like. I think i just see 2.
They would look like 2 breakers that are connected at the handle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1 switch at very top and 2 that are side by side on the handle
Ok. The one at the top might be your main breaker. Does one of the others say 30 on it? Are they switched off?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All are on the on position. 1 says 30 the other says 20
Ok, well there is a good chance that 30 is for your dryer outlet. Try switching it off and back on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I switched it back and forwards twice and reconnect the dryer but nothing happened
Are the wires connected inside the outlet, and inside the breaker?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How would i check that. Would i have to open the breaker box face and outlet template
Do you have air conditioning or and electric stove ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
both
you have a panel in the house and a panel in the garage?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not a panel in the house. Just in the garage
Oh ok. Well what you could try to do first is switch off that 2pole 30 and then open up the dryer outlet and see if it is connected. If it is, then take off the panel cover and see if the breaker is wired
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Will try
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Both the dryer wires and panel are wired and connected. If the dryer doesnt have a circuit breaker in the panel, does that mean there is no power to the dryer outlet?
Are there wires inside the panel that are not connected to a breaker?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No all wires are wired
Ok well, you would have to get a voltage tester to confirm that there is in fact no voltage to the dryer outlet. Or check to make sure the new dryer cord has be correctly connected.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I did. I just have to get a tester. If that doesnt work, i might have to call an electrician to come to my house right?
you may need one. Iif all the breakers in your panel are on, and you have no voltage at the dryer outlet, then you would have to trace where that wiring comes from and why it is not powered.