Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a light box in a bathroom with 2 black ,2 white and a

Customer Question

i have a light box in a bathroom with 2 black ,2 white and a red. i forgot how to hook them together. i can't seem to get the switch wiring correct. when i hook the 2 black together, one is hot all the time. the red becomes hot. even though it is not tied to anything. i know i'm missing something
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: no , i just should have labeled better
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
was this 2 switches and did it control 2 units like a fan/light combo or a light/outlet fixture?............and could you upload a picture it would help considerablyThanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try to add a pic
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
was this 2 switches and did it control 2 units like a fan/light combo or a light/outlet fixture?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Single fixture, fan is on a separate switch.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
what I am trying to find out is did you have a fan/light combination in the same location there before............because that is where the red and black come in by ............one fore the light and one for the fan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the help Eddie, I finally figured it out! Go ahead and close the ticket.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
no problem I m glad you got it going