Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Fuse twice living room JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell

Customer Question

Blown fuse twice living room
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Changed fuse once it worked couple days .i took out some plugs in alot of went back off now nothing.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: This house is old .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. What is dead when the fuse blows? How many outlets and lights? What room ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My living room all 6 outlets
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Is there a light in that room? Are you sure nothing else is on that circuit? What is plugged in when the circuit blows?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
TV and a few lights
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
I suggest drooping the lightfixtures for a wiring inspection. Many times the heat from lamps cause damage to insulation on wires. When the circuit is in use the wires heat up and expand. Should there be an issue with the insulation, the movement by expansion will cause them to touch and short out the circuit. Check and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have no ceiling lights just table lights .
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
OK. Try this. Plug a lamp in, make sure it's switched on. With another plug, go to every other outlet on the circuit , plug in and wiggle the plug side to side. If there is a connection or wire going to ground the circuit will trip as shown by the test lamp. If you trip the circuit all you need do is open the outlet and correct the problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried no all outlets no luck.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
The only thing you can do now is to open and inspect the wiring on all outlets. Look for bad insulation on wires and arc flash marks on the boxes.